DEVINTA (An Artificial Assistant for Software Developers) is a five-year project funded by the European Research Council - Starting Grant (ERC-StG). The project will start in February 2020, and has the goal to set the foundations for a new generation of developers' recommender systems envisioned as artificial assistants able to provide various forms of support in different phases of the software lifecycle. Three main research challenges will be tackled:
- Support developers in program comprehension activities by translating a given code into a natural language text explaining what the provided code does and guiding the developer step-by-step in its comprehension.
- Predict the feature that the developer is implementing and suggest how to automatically complete the feature by adopting the developer’s coding style.
- Provide support for online code review, meaning the ability to review in real time the code written by the developer, looking for possible bugs/suboptimal implementation choices. Solutions to remove the identified issues should be timely synthesized.
1 PhD position in the DEVINTA project -- Starting Date Sept. 2020
We are looking for several excellent applicants in Software Engineering,
willing to work on recommender systems for software developers. Successful candidates will work at the Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) in Lugano, Switzerland, under the supervision of the ERC holder Prof. Gabriele Bavota in the REVEAL research group.
The REVEAL group consists of two professors
(Gabriele Bavota & Michele Lanza), 3 postdocs, and 6 PhD students. REVEAL is
part of the Software Institute, a center of excellence in
software engineering research.
The Faculty of Informatics at USI, located in beautiful Lugano, Switzerland,
was established in October 2004 and offers BSc, MSc, and PhD study programs.
The official teaching and working language of the Faculty is English. Salaries
are very competitive (50 kCHF for PhD students). USI is committed to increasing the proportion of female researchers and therefore encourages female candidates to apply.
Requisites for the PhD position
- MSc degree in Computer Science (by the hiring date)
- Good English knowledge
- Excellent object-oriented programming skills
How to apply
Candidates are requested to submit their applications via email. Please include
a curriculum vitae and one reference.
Please send your application package to gabriele.bavota [at] usi [dot] ch.
The call will remain open until July 31 2020. Then, we will start the interviews with candidates.
Address: Università della Svizzera italiana (USI), Via G. Buffi 13, 6900 Lugano
Email: gabriele.bavota [at] usi [dot] ch